When I was five years old, I remember repeatedly asking my mom if Santa was real. She kept saying yes he was. It really bothered me that she was lying to me. For that reason, we have not promoted the story of Santa riding on a sleigh and coming down the chimney to give presents on Christmas. We don't use the story of Santa giving presents to good children as an incentive to promote good behavior. Santa is everywhere at Christmastime. There is no escaping it! All month, the grown ups we know ask him if Jack has seen Santa yet and what does he want from Santa. So we do visit Santa in the mall and write letters to him, and hope that Santa will bring what we want. It has not been a big deal. We try to let the magic of Christmas shine in the decorations, the lights and songs and charitable giving, like the Savior did for us, rather than focusing on what we'll get from Santa. And then, this year, one night in the days before Christmas, our friend Stan dropped by our house in his Santa costume! The whole Bonnemort family came and watched Jack hug Santa. Jack was so enthralled, he was speechless. He was in awe...even reverent in front of this Santa. Jack hung by my side with his eyes glued on Santa as we walked Santa to the door. Jack whispered in my ear. I couldn't understand what he wanted. After Jack repeated it into my ear a few times, I finally got what he wanted. "Can I see his sleigh?" I was in tears with Jack's excitement and magical belief in Santa! It was so special! Thank you, Stanta! So now I will always say that Santa represents giving and sharing and he is real for those who believe in the magic of Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment